Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Teaching While You Work: Webob, Django, and App Engine

I have two interesting tasks on my hands.

1. Write clear code, suitable for teaching.

2. Write a usable -- functioning and secure -- loan-management system.


At the same time, of course.  Otherwise I'd just get my kluge hat on.

It's all going on app engine, of course.  You think I want to do auth myself?


I looked at two tools: WebOb and Django.

Django is a full-stack database-driven framework.

WebOb is a wrapper for WSGI environments.

I decided to use WebOb for two reasons, one for each of my tasks:

1.  WebOb is simple.  It requires no regex url matching, and no black magic import statements.
WebOb does what you call it to do, nothing more.

2.  Django dosen't get along with App Engine.  If I used Django, I would have to use the Django-nonrel fork, or this lengthy patch.  Further, Django has its own auth system, which would take teasing to use with App Engine.

3 Comments:

At August 5, 2011 at 7:44 AM , Blogger IJ said...

Nicely described. :-)
- I look forward to your daily updates!

BTW -
a. When did you agree upon these assignments?
b. How did you pick them?
c. What are your due dates for the 2 assignments?

Interesting interesting.... enquiring minds want to know - more. :-) -- IJP

 
At August 5, 2011 at 8:56 AM , Blogger David Morris said...

a. During my internship, I said I would write this.
b. Those were the frameworks that Elkner is using (since he realized that web2py is mostly black magic).
c. Honor is my due date. But I would like to get it done in time for it to be useful as a teaching tool to Mr. Elkner.

 
At August 7, 2011 at 2:08 PM , Blogger IJ said...

"In time to be useful" is a great descriptor - but, er, not a due date. :-)

One cannot plan a schedule - without a date (a) for final product; and (b) interim products.
-- This is the same approach your govt. teacher (and English) gave you for all your big projects.
- Step by step due dates.

"Aha Moment" - Yes your teachers wanted their students to learn about the paper's topics - but just as much - or MORE - important - was to learn the PROCESS - of scheduling. Of doing ap project in steps - piece by piece. Of setting up due dates.

Reminder - this PROCESS - scheduling/project management - is what we would have worked on this summer if you had not been traveling most of the time.

THIS process - scheduling - is what you need to get back in the habit of - IF you are to start college on a solid foot.

So - :-) :-) ....

I'm am looking forward here to seeing YOUR project work schedule (since now I know your teacher didn't give you one) - for working on - and finishing the project.

Feel free to email it to me - I don't know when you've posted responses on the blog and don't check it daily.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home